Wednesday, July 15, 2009

SPJST Summer Camp

After church on Sunday, we rushed home to get the girls packed for summer camp. I had prepared most of their take-along things earlier in the week, so we really just had to pick out the clothes and throw it all in the suit cases. We loaded up the car and headed to Brownwood to the Woodmen of the World camp grounds. We met the Vaniceks in Goldthwaite to pick up Sam and Stephanie to go the rest of the way with us. They had been to a wedding in Ballinger and were headed back home so it was a good place to do the exchange and Brian and Joan needed to get to Austin for another event.

Four days of camp chocked full of swimming, crafts, and sleeping in the air conditioned cabins. Now, they weren't air conditioned when I went as a chaperone a couple of years ago or when Keith went as a child, so they were in hog heaven. Plus, we didn't have to send fans!

Tuesday around lunch time I received a call from Dustin. He was crying hysterically telling me how much he missed me and wanted to come home. Poor guy! I wanted to drop everything and go get him right that minute. I arranged with Keith so that we would leave as soon as he made it home from work. I met him in Temple and we drove and met my sister, Tammy, in Plano for supper at Boudreaux's and retrieved our precious son. He was in much better spirits and talked non-stop until he finally crashed in the seat and fell asleep. We made it back home just before midnight. Thankfully, we did not have to drive the entire trip to Caddo, OK to get him. That was very nice of Tammy to meet us part way.

The girls got to ride a charted bus home from camp on Wednesday and they were quite surprised to see Dustin was with me when we picked them up from the Supreme Lodge. They were all happy to see each other once again and had plenty to talk about with their respective trips.

No comments: